Security in Context is issuing a call for papers on the theme of “Financialization and the Global Arms Industry.” Please submit 400-word abstracts/proposals or completed papers by April 20th, 2023 to: email@example.com Please use the email subject heading "Financialization & Global Arms Industry Paper Proposal." The results for accepted proposals will be announced by May 10th, 2023.
Final papers should be in the range of 2,500-3,500 words. A modest honorarium will be provided for completed papers. Drafts of accepted papers are due May 30, 2023, and they will be presented as part of a symposium in the summer of 2023 at George Washington University in Washington DC. Travel expenses will be covered. The final papers will be published by Security in Context as part of a special publication series on Global Capitalism and Transnational War Economies.
We invite paper proposals from researchers, including graduate students, junior and senior scholars, working at the intersection of economic financialization and the global arms industry/militarization of production/securitization.
Proposals within this broad theme are welcome and possible topics of interest might include (but are not limited to):
- the role of sovereign wealth funds and pension funds in the global arms industry;
- effects of venture capital on militarization of the trajectory of tech startups;
- the expansion of corporate venture capital within large military industrial firms;
- the capitalization of asset streams in military industrial firms through new financial products;
- the political economy of cross-border investments, M&As, and trade flows in the defense industry; the influence of the military-industrial complex on great power competition; the rise of new forms of war-making in the Global South;
- theorizing the broader relationship between finance and war;
- increasing defense industry partnerships among Global South countries, including China, Turkey, Russia and MENA countries